Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Finished weaving

While I had models around I took some pictures of weaving that I recently finished.


I made Corrie a twisted poncho from the chenille fabric I was weaving this spring. The fabric turned out beautifully. I'm really happy with it and will do it again. I've made one more poncho for my sale this weekend and I have one piece left. I may twist the fringe and turn it into a shawl or I may use it for another poncho.

Here are the directions for the fabric.
Warp is all chenille from Webs, sett at 16 epi.  I put on 13 yds ( which was too much) and it was 33" in the reed. I used navy, red purple, bright blue, and teal shaded across the warp with my sectional beam.

The weaving alternated blocks of chenille in plain weave with bands of black merino wool. I used different colours of chenille for the blocks. Each chenille block had 36 shots, followed by 12 shots of merino.  The beat was quite firm.  The piece for the poncho was 32" wide and 86" long when it came off the loom.  I washed the peice gently in the machine without letting it spin very much. Then it was dried in the dryer until almost dry and hung up to finish drying. The dryer felts the bands of merino and creates the puffy texture.  After weaving the piece measured 19" by 78". For twisted ponchos , I like to use 19" by 70" for a medium size.  The chenille in the warp and weft makes a very velvety fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment